Additional Resources

September 16, 2014

Knitting Dreams for 2015

I've been participating in the Soak Wash Photo-A-Day Challenge and it's been revealing quite a bit about me as a knitter:

- I don't use a lot of tools. The ones I use most are associated with repair.
- I don't use the trendy knitting bags. I keep it simple, see-thru, and I still use plastic bags.
- Beaverslide Dry Goods is going to bankrupt me. I love wool
- I like cowls. A LOT. Oversized, lacy, interesting patterns and textures, all the above.
- My handspun is my favorite yarn. Naturally.

The photo challenge is also inspiring me to get cracking on my WIP basket (so I can cast-on new things!). So much to finish, so little time left this year!

One photo challenge prompt was 'Dream Project' and below is the item I picked. It's from the Brooklyn Tweed Spring Thaw collection (shocker!). I am obsessed with this sweater.

Big, chunky, textured, cabled, oversized button band, oversized collar, tweed... *swoon*


Image by Jared Flood/Brooklyn Tweed

This is Exeter by Michele Wang. It's on my 'Must Knit List' for 2015. I've been eyeballing this sweater for a while now but was slightly hesitant about casting it on. All that texture requires commitment to monogamy for sure.

The other thing is that I still have two sweaters on the needles that need to get finished first. This sweater was also more or less a wish list item that I needed to muster up the attention span and energy to knit. I'm feeling ambitious now. Cooler weather inspires confidence!

Speaking of must knits... I'm already compiling my list for next year.

I've decided that I'm going to host/participate in as many KAL's as I can sanely manage because really, that's how shit gets done. SAL's... I'll probably still periodically participate in those, just not the daunting XX pounds in 20XX challenges. As wonderful as it feels to accomplish such lofty goals as spinning down that much fiber in a year, keeping track of that mess induces madness. And not the good kind!

Shawls will definitely be a mainstay on my needles next year. Who knew I'd be a shawl knitter? I never understood the allure of the shawl. I labelled them as somewhat matronly, something grandparents knit (like doilies), not particularly stylish, and kind of folky. That is until I made one that I really loved. Now they are practically all I want to knit because they are soooo practical for the California temperatures where often times for me, all I need is a light layer to wrap around my neck or over my shoulders. The other thing I really like about shawls is that they are (relatively) portable, they can be as intense or laid back as you want them to be, they are a wonderful way to use (and show off) handspun, and they are such a great way to learn a lot of techniques.

So with that being said, I've added a couple shawls to my 'Must Knit List' as well. 
I'm looking forward to knitting Campside by Alicia Plummer (free!)


Image by Alicia Plummer

And the Pebble Beach Shawlette by Helen Stewart


Image by Helen Stewart

Both shawls are incredibly similar I admit, besides the obvious difference in shape and border treatment. Usually this would be a no-no for me as I typically try to avoid knitting the same thing(s) more than once for variety reasons, but also because I like to keep things fresh, I want to learn new techniques if possible with each knit, and I like to have a wide selection of varying items to round out my wardrobe. But clearly, eyelet shawls are calling my name. I'll more than likely knit the Campside first as it's a larger shawl and it's a freebie. If keeping track of all those eyelets doesn't make me snap, I may knit Pebble Beach as well.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts...
I wonder what everyone else is thinking about knitting in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment